Are you a business owner or an individual seeking efficient shipping of goods? Or a link to the best carrier? If yes, you may consider working with a freight forwarder. Freight forwarders, also known as forwarding agents, play a vital role in business and international shipping.
Earlier, they were known to link the carrier and the owner of goods and services, as well as providing clearing and forwarding services. Today, forwarding agents provide more roles besides connecting the owner of goods and the carrier.
We’ll explore roles, tips for selecting a freight forwarder, and reasons why you should choose one.
What Roles Do Freight Forwarders Play?
The duties of freight forwarders can vary depending on the size and type of the owner of goods and services. Below are some of their core roles:
1. Providing Insurance Services
Freight forwarders provide insurance services for shipments. They ensure that all parties involved with the consignment have adequate coverage for loss or damage during transit. The insured party pays an amount to the insurance company, covering any losses incurred during the transit. If there are no claims against the company, then the insured party will be reimbursed by the insurer.
2. Advising the Shipper
Freight forwarders advise shippers on how to ship their products. They can help you choose a suitable mode of transport such as airfreight, sea freight, road freight, etc. Additionally, they can assist you in selecting the best service provider for your shipment.
3. Packaging, Warehousing, and Distribution
Freight forwarders pack and distribute goods around the world. They may also store goods in warehouses before distribution. Some forwarders may even specialize in warehousing and storage.
Documentation includes all the information needed to move goods internationally. For example, documentation consists of the bill lading, packing list, customs forms, and other documents required to move goods internationally.
5. Customs Clearance
Customs clearance is the process of checking if the contents of a container meet import requirements. It implies that the goods must comply with local regulations. Import requirements include things like product health standards, safety standards, and environmental standards.
Why Choose a Freight Forwarder?
Why should you choose a freight forwarder instead of a third-party logistics provider? Here are the reasons:
- Timely delivery: Most freight forwarders offer same-day shipment. If you need your shipment delivered within 24 hours, then you must hire a freight forwarder.
- Customized solutions: Freight forwarders specialize in customized solutions, including custom packing, labelling, and handling.
- Knowledgeable staff: As experts in the field, the staff understand the market and the shipping process well. Additionally, they know how to handle different types of shipments efficiently.
- Reliability: Freight forwarders have been around for decades. Therefore, they have built up their reputation and credibility over time.
- Customer Care: Freight forwarders take customer satisfaction seriously. They work hard to ensure that your shipment reaches its destination safely and on time.
- Security: Freight forwarders are very careful when handling sensitive items such as cash, jewelry, and precious metals. They use special security measures to protect your shipment.
Tips To Choose the Best Freight Forwarder
When looking for a freight forwarder, there are certain factors that you should consider. These include:
Choose a freight forwarder with many years of experience. It will give you peace of mind to know that they have handled similar shipments in the past.
Ask about the company’s reputation. Find out from previous clients whether they were satisfied with the services provided by the freight forwarder.
Look at the services offered by the freight forwarder before hiring them. Are they offering door-to-door services? Do they offer pick-up and delivery services? What type of insurance do they offer? How much does it cost?
Veltri is here to help you with your shipping and logistics needs. Contact us to learn about our solutions.